Yum! I tried this recipe from the April issue of Health Magazine tonight. Actually, I adapted the dish from “Fish Tacos with Cucumber-and-Citrus Relish” to “Shrimp Tacos with Cucumber-and-Citrus Relish.” Not that I don’t like fish, I just already had shrimp and decided to wing it. It paid off.
My mom and I had a couple of yummy tacos each while sitting on the patio. Mom said THREE times “Yeah, this is good,” so I guess it was a hit with her too. It’s a pretty simple preparation, so if you’re looking for a nice light dinner one of these spring or summer evenings, give this one a try!
Fish (or Shrimp) Tacos with
prep: 15 min | cook: 10 min | makes: 6 servings
3 tbs olive oil
6 tbs fresh lime juice, divided
1 tsp ancho chile powder
1 tsp salt, divided
3/4 tsp pepper, divided
1-1/2 lbs skinless halibut fillets, cut into 6 (4-oz) pieces (or about 30 medium shrimp)
1/2 English cucumber, very thinly sliced (I diced them)
1/2 small onion, cut into thin strips (or diced)
2 tbs fresh orange juice
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
12 (5-inch) corn tortillas (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp seeded, finely minced serrano chile
1-1/2 cups pico de gallo or salsa
- Combine oil, 2 tbs lime juice, chile powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Toss with fish in a glass dish; chill for 15 min.
- Meanwhile, for relish, stir together cucumber, onion, orange juice, 2 tbs lime juice, sugar, and remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Fore crema, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and remaining 2 tbs lime juice; refrigerate.
- Prepare grill. Spray with cooking spray, and heat to medium-high. Grill fish for 3-4 minutes per side or until just opaque in center. Remove from grill, and cool slightly. Warm tortillas on grill for about 20 seconds on each side, then wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Add serrano chile to relish; spoon 2 tbs relish into each tortilla. Divide pieces of fish in half, and flake each half onto a tortilla. Top with 2 tbs pico de gallo. Drizzle with 2 tsp crema. Fold tortillas in half; serve.
Serving size: 2 tacos (Calories 358, Fat 12g, (sat 2g, mono 6g, poly 3g); Cholesterol 38mg; Protein 27g; Carohydrate 35g; Sugars 3g; Fiber 3g; Iron 2mg; Sodium 684mg; Calcium 89mg)